1st X1  v  Market Drayton  17th June 2006

On another glorious day the skipper won the toss and asked the opposition to have a bat.

With only the second ball Terry Owen struck with a successful LBW shout.

It wasn't long before Liam struck, decimating the middle order. For his first he took the edge and with the ball flying to slip, Rico took a fine catch.

The next two wickets were nearly identical dismissals. Both batsman pushing forward on the leg side and only succeeding to play the ball into short mid wicket's (Hoddy) hands. It only got worse for Drayton with the No 6 coming and going quickly, bowled by Liam for a duck. The score was 15 - 5 and an early finish seemed inevitable.

However the sixth wicket partnership between Coggins and Heffernan proved to be Drayton's best. 27 Runs were added before Heffernan was bowled by Terry.

A bowling change soon followed with Steven Faux given his chance. After a couple of nervy short balls which were dispatched for 4 he struck in his first over when the batsman pushed one to Verbal standing at a silly mid offish position.

Credit must go to Richard Coggins who had opened the innings and was still there proving dogged resistance. However his long innings of nearly two hours came to an end when he was caught behind by Steve Maden to give Terry another wicket

The last couple of batsman soon came and went and the innings folded for 67 runs. A small total but the wicket was giving plenty of assistance to the bowlers and Drayton did have the services of their pro for the first time this season.

Madeley's innings got off to a poor start with Jason Willets hitting across the line to  a full toss and getting bowled first ball. With the pro Danish de Silva looking dangerous the runs still needed some getting.

Rico looked as if he was judging the ball better with some good leaves outside his off stump. The partnership with Steve Pugh took the score to 33. Just when it was looking as if we could knock the runs off without further mishaps Rico got one that just didn't bounce and went under his bat. LBW for 11. The score 33 for 2.

Never mind a confident Pete Smith fresh from his 89 not out the previous week strode to the wicket only to stride back after his second ball. The pro was proving difficult, surely we could get another 35 runs.

In came Hoddy and the score gradually got closer. He then hit the ball back to the spinner who appeared to take a good diving catch. Hoddy walked and was halfway back to the pavvy and Verbal halfway to the wicket when the umpires called Hoddy back. The catch had been grounded. His reprieve however didn't last for long as he gently placed one into slips hand.

Verbal was in next and he didn't waste time hitting 9 off 4 balls. Steve Pugh remained unbeaten on 29 and the game was won.