1st X1  v Welshpool  29th July 2006

Madeley made the trip to Welshpool and after winning the toss yet again, decided to bowl first. The ground was not in good shape and it looked as if it would be nigh impossible to field well at the football ground end. The surface was such that I wouldn't have wanted to play football on it as there would be a grave danger of damaged ligaments at the very least.

The game was only in it's second over when Steve Maden was felled by a ball which just rose off a length and smashed into his face. Luckily it hit him between the cheekbone and jaw and it would seem that he got away with any broken bones although a trip to the hospital couldn't confirm anything until the swelling had subsided

Steven Faux was bowling with venom but didn't enjoy any luck with edges just flying to the boundary. The Welshpool openers however stuck to their task and with grit and determination took the score along to 68 before the first wicket fell when Liam took a catch off Rico's bowling. The game had been reduced to 40 overs a side and at this point 22 overs had been bowled. The game looked well balanced but from here on in things just turned for the worse for Madeley. The score was hurried along with plenty of boundaries and the last eight overs went for near enough ten an over. This resulted in Welshpool making 201 - 4 which to me seemed an unlikely target on a wicket which to say the least was unpredictable.

It has to be said that Welshpool did extremely well to reach that score but on that pitch the target should have been much less. Terry Owen's line and length had been sorely missed. Liam had tidy figures, having only 14 runs taken from his 7 overs.

Madeley's reply got off to the worst possible start with Rico being bowled off the very first delivery. With Steve Pugh only going to bat if called upon, due to an injury, that target now looked a very long way away.

With the score on 8 Andy Lloyd received a ball that virtually went along the floor and was out LBW. Andy Laycock hit a couple of  fours and looked like he might accumulate some runs but then after chipping one rather fortunately between two fielders tried again but this time lobbed it straight to mid on who gratefully accepted the present. Jason lost patience and danced down the wicket only succeeding in providing the opposition with another easy catch.

Andy Pugh who had been in for almost an hour had only amassed 13 runs but at least looked as if he was going to prove a difficult object to remove. The score was only 52 which included 10 extras and there was only 18 overs left when the rains came. Even the target of 151 for a losing draw looked well out of reach.

For the rest of the season we really need to concentrate on keeping the opposition's score as low as possible. The last few weeks have seen us chasing targets which would have required a run rate of at least 5 runs an over, targets which we haven't looked like getting close to.